Schoolmen's Club Plaques


Historical & Memorial Bronze Tablets

First Presbyterian Church, south end of front wall. In memory of the first settlers. (Dedicated by New Jersey Colonial Dames, 1902)

Broad and Commerce Streets, to Newark's first schoolmaster, John Catlin. (Placed 1911)

State Normal School, Belleville (Broadway) and Fourth Avenues.  In memory of Major General Philip Kearny, whose ancestral home was on this site. (Dedicated by Newark Board of Education, 1912)

Kinney Building, southeast corner of Broad and Market Streets, to Robert Treat, leader of first settlers.  (Placed 1912)

St. Patrick's Cathedral, Washington Street wall, to John G. Shea, Catholic historian.  (Placed 1912)

Branch Brook Park, Roseville and Fourth Avenues, marks site of Camp Frelinghuysen, rendezvous of Union volunteers in 1862.  (Erected by pupils of Barringer High School 1912.)

Firemen's Building, northeast corner of Broad and Market Streets, east end of Market Street front; commemorates route taken by Washington from Philadelphia to Cambridge in 1775 to assume command of the patriot army.  (Dedicated by New Jersey Society, Sons of the American Revolution, 1914.)

First Presbyterian Church lecture room, front wall.  Commemorates establishment of the Sunday School.  (Placed by the church in 1914, the centennial of that event.)

Hallway of Free Public Library, north wall.  In memory (with portrait) of Rev. Hannibal Goodwin, inventor of the photographic film.  (Dedicated by Newark Camera Club, 1914.)

Trinity Church, front wall; commemorates Washington's passage "under the shadow of this tower" during his retreat in November, 1776.  (Placed by New Jersey Society, Sons of the American Revolution, 1914.)

Phillips Park, Summer and Elwood Avenues and Elwood Place; marking Revolutionary camping ground in North Newark.  Set in a boulder from Fox Hill.  (Gift of Nova Ceasarea Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.)

Washington Park, near south end; to mark site of first Academy in Newark, built in 1774 by gifts of citizens; barracks for American troops i the War of Independence; burned by British raiders in 1780.  Base is a natural boulder. (Gift of trustees, graduates and students of Newark Academy to commemorate the forerunner of the present institution, the first building of which was erected at Broad and Academy Streets in 1792.)

Upper end of Military Park to Col. Peter Schuyler, originator of the term "Jersey Blues."  The base is a boulder.  (Gift of Society of Founders and Patriot.)

Clinton Park, triangular plot west of Lincoln Park, to commemorate "Old White School House" of 1792.  The base is a boulder.  (Gift of New Jersey Daughters of the Revolution.)

Front wall of new building at 536 Broad Street, opposite Washington Park; marks the site of the home of Joseph Hedden, Revolutionary martyr.  The aged patriot was dragged from his house by British night-raiders in 1780 and compelled to walk to Paulus Hook (Jersey City) in the snow, clad only in his nightgown.  He died from the exposure. (Gift from Barringer High School).

Weequahic Park, "Divident Hill," where boundary between Newark and Elizabeth Town was fixed in 1668.  (Gift of the Students of South Side High School).

On the Koenig building, southwest corner of Broad and William streets.  To mark site where the College of New Jersey, now Princeton University had its home 1748-1756.  For the two years prior it had been at Elizabeth Town and from here it was moved to Princeton.  The classes were held in the parsonage of the First Presbyterian Church, of which the elder Aaron Burr was the minister, and he was also the second president of the college.  The parsonage stood on this site.  (Gift of the Princeton Club on Newark).