City Hall Offices (Centre Market)

Broad Street over the Morris Canal

1853 - 1864


Centre Marketg was built in 1853/54 but the tower was declared unsafe in the early 1860's and removed. The tower served as the city's first fire alarm bell, which wighed 6,000 pounds. Watchmen were stationed in it to strike the alarm in case of a fire. When the tower was declared unsafe, the bell was relocated at Market, Arlington, Augusta & Nicholson Streets. The second floor of Centre Market held the city offices. The Common Council Chamber was brilliantly lighted by gas from two large chandeliers. The building and surrounding land cost a little less than $90,000.