|Contents of Historic Newark Newspapers|
Newark Daily Advertiser - October 23, 1850
Poisoned Confectionery - Professor Lawrence Reid
A short time since a man was admitted as a patient into the City Hospital for supposed rheumatism. He was affected with paralysis of both arms. From the symptoms of the case Dr. Colton, the house physician, suspected the paralysis to have been caused by poisoning with lead. The man's trade was a confectioner, following the branch of painting and ornamenting candies. The doctor requested him to procure some of the candies and pigments used, which he did. They were given to me for analysis, and found to contain the carbonate of lead, or white lead, one of the most poisonous preparations of that substance. The man was then treated for poisoning with lead, and left the Hospital much relieved.
From the above it will be seen the danger to which children and others are exposed from eating such candies, when even the artisan who prepares them, (only handling them,) is so seriously affected. With a view to calling the public attention to the above facts, and particularly candy manufacturers to the evident impropriety of using any poisoning pigments, even in small quantities, I respectfully ask the insertion of this communication in your journal. Yours truly,
Professor Lawrence Reid
To return to the index click on "Contents of Historick Newark Newspapers" at the top of each page.
|Copyright 1998 - 2021 Glenn G. Geisheimer|