Arthur Flegenheimer
(Dutch Schultz)

August 6, 1901 - October 24, 1935


Do you have a photo of this person?
If so please email me.


Newspaper Articles:

October 26, 1935 - Transcript of Death Bed Statements made by Schultz
October 29, 1935 - Schultz Funeral is Held Secretly

A short history:

Arthur Flegenheimer was born on August 6, 1901, to German Jewish immigrants Herman and Emma (Neu) Flegenheimer. He dropped out of school in the eighth grade to help support himself and his mother working various jobs.  Eventually he worked at a neighborhood night club owned by a minor mobster, and began robbing craps games before turning to burglary.  In 1919 he was sent to prison for burglary and was paroled on December 8, 1920.  Upon getting out he worked for Schultz Trucking, giving himself the name Dutch Schultz.  When Prohibition was enacted, he began to smuggle liquor and beer into New York City from Canada. 

In 1928 he was hired as a bouncer in the Hub Social Club owned by gangster Joey Noe.  Soon Schultz began to ride shotgun in their beer supply trucks to protect them from hijackers.  After Prohibition Schultz turned to the numbers racket as his source of income.  Extortion of restaurants came next.  Tax troubles followed weakening his position in the underworld.  This led to Schultz going before an emergency meeting of the Mafia Commission where he asked permission to kill U. S. Attorney Thomas Dewey which was turned down.  Schultz left the meeting in a furious rage and the Commission decided to kill him to stop the Dewey assassination. 

At 10:15 PM on October 23, Dutch Schultz was shot in the men's room at the Palace Chop House at 12 East Park Street in Newark, NJ.  Along with Schultz, Otto Berman, Abe Landau & Bernard "Lulu" Rosenkrantz were also shot.  All four men were taken to city Hospital on Fairmount Avenue where they died over the next day.  Arthur Flegenheimer, who converted to Catholicism during his second trial, was given a Catholic burial in Gate of Heaven Cemetery in Hawthorne, NJ.  Five people attended the funeral which was given by the Rev Cornelius McInerney who was the pastor of St. Philomena Church in Livingston NJ.